Dean Wendt, Ph.D.
B.S. Biology, Cal Poly State University, San Luis Obispo
M.A. Biology, Harvard University
Ph.D. Biology, Harvard University
Research and Advising Interests:
To large extent my research program has focused on the physiology and ecology of marine invertebrate animals. More recently I have become involved in marine conservation, including the development of constituent-based research programs and a model for the implementation of ecosystem-based management in Morro Bay.
- Energetics of larval swimming and metamorphosis in marine invertebrates focused on the ecological benefits of dissolved organic matter (DOM) for marine invertebrates
- Development of non-toxic, foul-release marine coatings for use in the prevention of biofouling
- Impact and spread of invasive species in small harbors and bays
- Development and implementation of a comprehensive ecosystem-based management program for the Morro Bay estuary and nearshore ecosystem
- Collaborative (constituent-based) fisheries research to assess status of ground fish populations