Mission & Student Learning Objectives
To be nationally recognized as one of the premier undergraduate biological programs with a masters level graduate program; one in which students are consistently prepared to go on to successful and productive careers.
- To provide a foundation in life sciences for all Cal Poly students
- To provide life science students with a broad background in the life sciences at all levels of biological organization (from molecular, cellular, and organismal biology, to populations, communities and ecosystems)
- To prepare life science students for careers and graduate work
- To provide education in life science technologies and applications
- To engage students in scientific inquiry and foster life-long learning
- To prepare students to make informed political and societal decisions relative to the life sciences
- To be a life science resource for the community, state, nation and the biosphere!
Program Learning Objectives for the Bachelor of Science Programs
(Biological Sciences and Microbiology)
- Students will demonstrate a writing style appropriate for communicating scientific results to a diverse audience.
- Students will integrate math, physical sciences and technology to answer biological questions using the scientific method.
- Students will demonstrate proficiency of lab and field techniques in their area of specialization.
- Students will master and retain fundamental concepts in biology (atom to ecosystem).
- Students will demonstrate the skill to assess and analyze data with objectivity.
- Students will demonstrate proficiency in searching, reading and evaluating the scientific literature.
Program Learning Objectives for the MS Program in Biological Sciences
- Students will demonstrate a broad basic knowledge of the biological sciences.
- Students will demonstrate a thorough understanding and competency in a specific discipline within the biological sciences.
- Students will be able to communicate scientific ideas effectively in both oral and written formats.
- Students will be able to think critically and evaluate, design, conduct and quantitatively assess innovative research in a biological discipline.
- Students will have acquired the skills and knowledge needed for employment or advanced graduate or professional study in discipline related areas.