College of Science and Mathematics
California Polytechnic State University
To be nationally recognized as one of the premier undergraduate biological programs with a masters level graduate program; one in which students are consistently prepared to go on to successful and productive careers.
1. To provide a foundation in life sciences for all Cal Poly students
2. To provide life science students with a broad background in the life sciences at all levels of biological organization (from molecular, cellular, and organismal biology, to populations, communities and ecosystems)
3. To prepare life science students for careers and graduate work
4. To provide education in life science technologies and applications
5. To engage students in scientific inquiry and foster life-long learning
6. To prepare students to make informed political and societal decisions relative to the life sciences
7. To be a life science resource for the community, state, nation and the biosphere!
1. Students will demonstrate a writing style appropriate for communicating scientific results to a diverse audience.
2. Students will integrate math, physical sciences and technology to answer biological questions using the scientific method.
3. Students will demonstrate proficiency of lab and field techniques in their area of specialization.
4. Students will master and retain fundamental concepts in biology (atom to ecosystem).
5. Students will demonstrate the skill to assess and analyze data with objectivity.
6. Students will demonstrate proficiency in searching, reading and evaluating the scientific literature.
1. Students are expected to have a broad basic knowledge of the biological sciences.
2. Students are expected to have a thorough understanding and competency in a specific area of the biological sciences.
3. Students are expected to demonstrate the ability to communicate scientific ideas in both oral and written formats.
4. Students are expected to think critically and to be able to evaluate, design, and conduct innovative research in a biological discipline.
5. Students are expected to be prepared for employment and advanced graduate or professional study in discipline related areas.