Dean Wendt, Ph.D.
Dean of College of Science and Mathematics
Professor of Biological Sciences
B.S. Biology, Cal Poly State University, San Luis Obispo
M.A. Biology, Harvard University
Ph.D. Biology, Harvard University
Research and Advising Interests:
To large extent my research program has focused on the physiology and ecology of marine invertebrate animals. More recently I have become involved in marine conservation, including the development of constituent-based research programs and a model for the implementation of ecosystem-based management in Morro Bay.
- Energetics of larval swimming and metamorphosis in marine invertebrates focused on the ecological benefits of dissolved organic matter (DOM) for marine invertebrates
- Development of non-toxic, foul-release marine coatings for use in the prevention of biofouling
- Impact and spread of invasive species in small harbors and bays
- Development and implementation of a comprehensive ecosystem-based management program for the Morro Bay estuary and nearshore ecosystem
- Collaborative (constituent-based) fisheries research to assess status of ground fish populations